“Happiness is not something ready-made. It comes from your own actions” – Dalai Lama
This is something I realized not long ago. For years, I always thought that once I would have reached a certain goal or reached a certain age, I would have my sh*t together and finally be happy. And then I realized that there is no tomorrow, there is only a continuation of today.
So today has to be the day you get your sh*t together and start (can you tell I’ve listening to Sarah Knight’s book ‘Get Your shit Together’ on Audible?).
Today has to be the day you stop for a minute and think about your goals and how to get there. How to be happy. What will make you feel happy. And then take steps.
- Know yourself, what makes you feel good and what makes you feel bad.
- Do more of what makes you feel good
- Set yourself small achievable goals that you can actually reach that will make you a happier person.
- Have a good clearout. Get rid of the energy and positivity suckers of your life whether they are off line and online.
- If you’re afraid, it means you are doing something right so don’t panic. Good things will come out of it.
- Take time for yourself
- Stop caring about what everybody else thinks. It’s not their life.
- Follow your guts
- Know that there will be ups and downs. It’s what turns great moments into memories and bad moments into lessons.
- Learn your limits, learn to say no if it’s not part of you Plan to Be Happy
- Don’t be afraid to be a little more selfish
- If a situation is not making you happy, whether it’s a relationship, living somewhere, a friend group, a job, or anything, change it. It’s hard, I know, but it’s for the better.
- Take notice of the little things of your everyday life that bring you joy
- Remember that happiness is something you have to work for, not something that will land at your door like a delivery pizza – though pizza clearly brings me happiness.
- If something has to change don’t expect everything to change overnight, it will require time and effort.
- Don’t be too hard on yourself. Concentrate on accepting where you are right now and on the fact that you are working towards being happier and reaching your goals.
- Kick ass. You can and will do it. You are worth it and capable.